Warning: Parameter 1 to NP_Poll::event_PreSkinParse() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/pokelege/public_html/nucleus/libs/MANAGER.php on line 370
The Project Gamma Development Progress Blog » Archive
The Project Gamma Development Progress Blog

Update

Sep 25, 2009 by DX-MON |
Ok, nearly a month has slipped by, however....
I'm now back at college; I did finish off most of MapMaker 1.0.0.20, I released it to the team, only to remember I disabled one of the new modes I'd done for enhanced functionality. I will be scheduling in time to fix up that mode so it uses GTK+ to handle interfacing with the user. I have also started rebuilding the GUI handling parts of the game engine, and when that rebuild is complete and MapMaker still runs with it OK, I will then start rebuilding the GUI parts of PokéLegend's executables.

I will probably post again either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on what I manage to do (College work gets in the way somewhat).

Progress on the programming

Sep 10, 2009 by DX-MON |
MapMaker is nearing the end of its refurbishment. I've completely rewritten the basic application, all its functionality stands as it did originally.
Progress is being made on rewriting the 3 dialog boxes I wrote for it that were written using pure Win32 API. 1 or 2 minor crashes still exist in the app though. However, in comparison to the Win32 API version, the new one is vastly more stable.

I've also created a new library in the process of rewriting MapMaker, the library is written in pure C++ using proper classes without any language hacks. It wraps GTK+ in an object-orientated way. The new library has been dubbed GTK++.

Next thing to do will be getting GTK++ integrated with the game engine itself - Future Consciousness. Because of the way GTK++ works with GL (via the gtkGLExt GTK+ Extension), there (again) will be no functionality loss by doing this conversion, especially as Future Consciousness was built to be an OpenGL based engine built primarily out of open-source libraries, my own libraries, and a lot of "glue" like code that actually did what was needed.

MapMaker v1.0.0.20 will be released this weekend with a bit of luck, so the team eagerly await the new version as it means more testing, better mapping, and, finally, Linux/Mac OS support! (Soli and I have worked together to test that the Mac OS and Linux support all works and exists, she is likely to provide the Mac OS binaries for the game itself, and based upon the same set of Makefile's I will likely provide the Linux binaries)

Conclusion to this post: progress towards our end goal of a Pokémon MMORPG that will run on all of the main OS'es and deliver its content to pretty much anybody with a computer is sure and steady, but it is there! Will post again on either Saturday or Sunday with another progress update, and hopefully also a release of MapMaker for the team.

Long time no posts

Sep 06, 2009 by DX-MON |
Wow, I managed to forget to post something here for 3 months..... woops!

Anyway, quick update; the project is still alive and going.

One of the other admins - Soli - and myself have managed to get some of the libraries I've written that Gamma uses compiling on Linux and Mac OSX.

I'm currently beginning a rewrite of all the GUI code for the project, using GTK+. This will enable the same code written for Windows to run on a Mac or Linux box, with little or no modifications. It also means that Windows bugs that got into my GUI code causing havoc with the Windows Standard Buttons will be no more after said rewrite.

After the GTK+/gtkGLExt rewrite, I will be able to pursue Gamma with renewed abilities to generate working code. I will also be making sure that all the current graphics handling code is wrapped up into classes (being that sort of code was all written in C++) for easier use in the rewrite. This will mean faster response times as I will no longer have just 1 massive case-statement for a Windows message loop to handle the graphics in.